Monday, September 8, 2008

The Remains of the Day III

Wow! so much to say.. so let's see if I can remember it all...

Well, to start off I must admit that this was my least favorite of the three novels. (100 Years of Solitude being number 1 [yay!] and Things Fall Apart being number two [slightly quieter yay])

Although I was not all that fond of the novel I should, however, point out its positives. I definitely enjoyed Stevens' cold and reserved tone throughout the novel. No matter what was going on, he seemed to keep this cool demeanor at all times. I also enjoyed the ending. Like many of you have already mentioned, The Remains of the Day doesn't have this "lived happily ever after" wrapped up ending. Instead, it is realistic in the sense that sometimes life 'just is'. Instead of always looking back at the past, "You've got to enjoy yourself. The evening's the best part of the day. You've don't your day's work. Now you can put your feet up and enjoy it. That's how I look at it. Ask anybody, they'll all tell you. The evening is the best part of the day," (244). The way I see it, no matter how terrible your day may have been, what matters is what "Remains of the Day."

Another comment I wanted to make was that I totally agree with Mary in that this entire novel is an excellent example of the first chapter of How To Read Literature Like A Professor. Stevens not only takes a literal trip through England, but he also takes a journey. Stevens is the quester, the place to go is Miss Kenton's home, the reason to go is to see Miss Kenton, the challenges along the way are his car breaking down,getting lost, and just being stuck in the past, and finally the real reason for him traveling was to have his doubts answered or at least cleared up.

As many of you have already done, I also need to comment on the encounter between Miss Kenton and Stevens. It was clear that there was definitely some sort of tension between the two characters (old issues, old memories, attraction, regrets, etc.) When Stevens thought back and remembered Miss Kenton mentioning the marriage, I believe she did so not to make small talk but to bring up a response. I think deep down inside there must have been some sort of attraction between them (otherwise why would his actions and comments bother her and why would her image be such a prominent part of his memory?) Even thought it seems like they both wanted each other but never could say it, I doubt that relationship could have ever worked out. Don't ask me why, it's just a 6th sense I have.

No comments: